Friday, March 16, 2012

Education for Everyone

I am taking a social problems class right now
and for extra credit we could watch
a documentary about education

I watched Waiting for "Superman" on Netflix

Now i am already passionate about education
but this more just supported those feelings
it was a really moving film

i strongly urge you to watch it

But one of the things i wanted to talk
about was how this is semi applicable to
my Shakespeare and what I am looking into now

One line that stood out to me was about
these charter schools --called Kipp Academies
Their big "slogan" that the man described their schools as doing is  
"closing the achievement gap and shattering
the myth that some students can't learn"

This article talks about Harriet Ball
the woman who helped to inspire these charter
schools by the way she taught
in the article it is is described as
"a 'multisensory, mnemonic, whole-body teaching technique'
designed to 'propel at-risk students toward excellence,'
 though she insists her method works for all children.
In simpler terms, she calls it Rap, Rhythm, and Rhyme."

the way i saw her approach was just
making the material accessible for students!
-breaking up the material

I want to look more into her
suggestions that she had given
and maybe work them into our "Shakespeare-ience"

but over all this film was so moving
especially the last half hour
i seriously got choked up

it is so sad to me that all of the students
want to be in these good schools
and they want to learn
but they dont get chosen for the "lottery"

i really hope to see our education
system change in my life time
and when i am a teacher

that way everyone can have an education

This film completely renewed my wants 
to be a teacher (not that they were fading).
It also helped me remember 
the importance of being a good teacher.
Half way through I was starting to question
 if i still wanted to be a teacher because
 it is such a huge responsibility and challenge, 
but by the end it just strengthened my wants.

Just thought I would share :)
and it was semi relevant 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I haven't added anything yet but here's a link to a google doc I created so we can try to get the written prototype done..I thought the video could kind of count as the trailer and the written stuff could be the actual content...like the trailer could lead them to the written stuff? What do you think? let me know.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m7bmlyLjLujp_bNtN6zyoXJlmMB5MJPn8ju34cPpIik/edit

    ReplyDelete

Out, damned comments! out, I say!