Saturday, February 18, 2012

annotated biblio

the only bad thing about going to the library as an english major is that instead of coming back with one book you come back with this:






The hard thing for me making an annotated bibliography is  that I still have so many sources that they need trimming a lot.
and then as i keep slowly getting emails back from people they keep leading me towards more sources
a while back i said i needed an outline and i think i still do hahah

Sources:

Grierson, Sirpa. Personal interview. 16 February 2012.
Dr. Grierson gave me some great suggestions. She stressed the importance of making Shakespeare real with the students and trying to bring to life how Shakespeare was in his time. She suggested the use of videos to show the Globe theater and set up the play to experience it in the three levels that were experienced by the different classes. That way you are making Shakespeare more relevant to the students. She also suggested to break the text up into "big chunk, little chunk" (breeze over a big chunk, focus in dept on a little chunk) as outlined by Kelly Gallagher so that students are not overwhelmed with the who text of the play. One thing that was interesting that she stated was that when she studied Shakespeare as a child in Canada she danced and sang and they worked completely hands on, so that was very important to her  in her suggestions to me. 
Salmone, Ronald E., and James E. Davis. Teaching Shakespeare into the Twenty-First Century. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1997. Print.
I found this book after searching in the library for "Shakespeare and teaching." I believe that the original book that had the call number for was not what I was looking for, but this was close by! Even though this book is a tad older (reminding me of this), it still has some great ideas and discusses the idea of bringing Shakespeare alive in the classroom to engage reluctant readers. The last section is more modern.
"Teachers Set Free: Folger Education and Other Revolutionary Approaches to Teaching Shakespeare ." English Journal 99.1 (2009): 13 February 2012. National Council of Teachers of English. Web.
I believe I ran across this after I one of the articles I had looked at before was taken off of the website I originally found it on. Now I know this is a whole journal, but it is a WHOLE journal just about teaching Shakespeare! So I am having a hard time narrowing it... By my final paper it will be narrowed. This issue is awesome because it talks all about the ways to teach Shakespeare right now. 
Goodwyn, Andrew. English in the Digital Age. New York, NY: Cassell, 2000. Print.
I found this when looking for "teaching 21 century" in the library. This search also generated the five extra books I brought home. The thing I found interesting about this book is that it specifically brings up the problem of teaching Shakespeare and other traditional materials in our "digital age." 
Shakespeare, William. Macbeth. New York, NY: Washington Square Press, 1992. Print.
This is my original text that I am using. I feel it is one of the most commonly taught plays in schools, and it is also one of my favorites. 

So like I said I also have 5 other books.  And then I got an old book of teaching activities specifically for Macbeth. The other 5 books I found when looking for teaching in the 21st century. I am not sure if I will use the other 5. Three of them are about teaching with ICT. One is about adolescent literacy and teaching reading, and the last one is about teaching today and advocating changes in the curriculum. The last one is probably most likely that I will use.

My working thesis right now is:
The teaching of Shakespeare in secondary schools needs to consist of scaffolding the learning, active learning strategies, and breaking up the text so that modern day learners may more readily access the traditional materials in a world of new age learning.
I know this will change, but thats my quick idea.
The hardest thing i need to address is that I had one of the people i emailed email back and suggest i was over generalizing so  I need to figure out how to state that. She said that she felt there wasnt a problem in teaching Shakespeare so that is something I more need to think about

but more on my emails back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Out, damned comments! out, I say!