Saturday, February 11, 2012

unsex me here.

i have always been fascinated with Lady Macbeth
There is just something that I love about her

one thing that I particularly like about her is her strength
and while it may be for the bad and everything
i seem to like powerful woman roles

and women who are too submissive in literature
seem to bother me to an extent

its funny because on netflix it gives suggestion based on what youve watched
my husband always makes fun of me because it will suggest
"romantic comedies with strong female lead" or something like that

but i like this womanly strength in her in particular for teaching
because i think it gives something for female students to grasp onto
and the fact that there are there two side of Macbeth that appeal to both student genders
this may just be my own feelings but i will run with it

i wanted to look at the transformation and character of Lady Macbeth

in high school i looked in her use of "witchcraft"

and this time i was thinking about how interesting it that she specifically asks "unsex me here"
so she doesnt want to be a woman and have all of these womanly feelings
i would think that her reasoning for this is
so she wouldnt feel bad about not killing Macduff because he looks like her father

i also wonder if she was wanting and wishing that she could be king for herself ?

i always get this feminist feeling for from her
and this may be completely off and out of no where
but i wonder if she had postpartum if she had just had a child?
(which i just did a quick google search on and there is a lot out there on this idea. man i love when i have brilliant thought that i find out are completely justified ---note to self. look into this.)

the thing I wanted to point out and that i found interesting
is that if lady macbeth was not as motherly and womanly as she is
and if she was able to be unsexed
that would change much of her interactions

first off she would have probably not encouraged Macbeth to kill Macduff
I think it is a rather motherly thing to be really encouraging
and i find it interesting that she specifically parents him
like why did you bring back the evidence you shouldnt have done that

secondly she would have probably killed Macduff herself
and she wouldnt have been so "loving" or more like convincing to Macbeth
to go and do the deed and get over his feelings

so really her wanting to be "unsexed" would not have been a good thing for the point of the play

the only positive outcome that I could thing of
would be she might not be so guilty as to kill herself
and it is interesting that she really results back to those feelings about her guilty
and its a very motherly and sensitive thing that she does
that also completely goes against her beginning feelings
in the play of being so powerful and manly

so her transformation
she starts out very manly and strong
then she shows hints of her womanness in wanting to change
and  being motherly like to Macbeth
yet being very strong and expecting of him to be a man
and specifically stating that she would do it if he didnt look like her father
---that is such a stab like well i am more manly than you
but then she breaks down to this weak almost little girl type in her guilt

so yes. Lady Macbeth is one of my most favorite characters
in all of literature. her and Penelope from the Odyssey
who is also a very strong woman

maybe that says something about myself?
...on that note im not planning on killing anyone though haha

1 comment:

  1. I like your insights into Lady Macbeth. I've been looking into her as I research my topic on female characters in Shakespeare. I'm focusing more on Katherina from The Taming of the Shrew, but I took a look into Lady Macbeth and her "unsex me here" speech.I feel like she desires the death of Macduff, so that Macbeth will receive more power and in turn she will get more power, but what is stopping her is the guilt of knowingly being part of a murder. Her "unsex me here" speech is to rid herself of all those womanly emotions that would create guilt within her. The guilt that might possibly lead her to do something stupid like admit to the murder or go crazy. (looks like it didn't work out too well for her there)She is an incredibly strong womanly figure, but she can't deny her female essence so she tries to defy it and rid herself of it to no avail. She will always have those emotions and motherly tendencies because she can't deny part of her true nature. She is a complex character.

    ReplyDelete

Out, damned comments! out, I say!