Monday, February 6, 2012

Shakespeare's Hamlet as a Diagram

I am so excited!
I heard back from the graphic design artist on etsy that I talked about in this post
and I got a response back from her!

As she described herself on her Etsy description
"I’m a graphic designer and photographer living in Stockholm, Sweden. After a little more than a decade focusing on commercial work, I have opened my mind again towards the artistic side of myself. I’m educated at Forsbergs School of Design in Stockholm, Sweden, and I also hold an MA with Distinction from Central Saint Martins, London, UK."

So I have been interested in adaptations
and have considered this for my research paper somehow
but when I found this piece I was interested in her work with the play
and how she made it
and her take on it

My original letter was:
"Hello,
I am studying English at Brigham Young University in Utah. Currently I am taking a class about Shakespeare. We are studying Hamlet specifically right now. As I was doing some research about the play, I ran across your diagram and was interested in it. For my class, we have been looking into unique adaptations and modern usages of Shakespeare. If you have time, I was hoping that you could answer some question to help further my research for my class. How did you go about creating this diagram? Are you a big fan of Hamlet or what drew you to using this play in particular for your creation? How is the diagram organized? (it is hard to see what exactly it all is in the pictures) How did you decide what to include?
Thank you so much for your time! I look forward to hearing from you!
-Tara"
She very promptly replied:
"Hello Tara,

I did it over ten years ago as a school project. Then I had it in the drawer for several years before I thouht it was too good to stay there. I’m not sure I remember all thaughts I had when I created it, but I borrowed the play from the library, read it, and made my interpretation of it into the diagram format. I’m not specifically any Shakespeare fan, it was more that I wanted to find a story that a lot of people are familiar with. At the moment I work on a new piece, just made a first draught to turn Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita into a diagram, at the same time my contribution to ”The Sketchbook Project”:www.arthousecoop.com/users/wah/artwork
Hope this anwered your questions… Good luck with your Shakespeare studies!

Helena"
I think her response shows how much Hamlet transcends and how important Shakespeare is in literature.
I think it is very cool that
she specifically chose it because wanted something popular that people would know
so that goes back to showing how import and transcending Hamlet is

and if you want to take it another level how important and transcending the stories
from the "Saxo Grammaticus’ History of Denmark or as it is properly called Gesta Danorum"

So this is what I am think about working into my paper somehow
I am struggling to figure out how though
and what
and how
haha

i obviously just struggle some times


but with all of that i thought that her adaption was cool
and even taking it back to teaching as always....
if students were looking at the diagram or even creating one for themselves,
this type of visual could be so helpful for students in grasping plot line!


I also would have posted this all sooner
but, i was in Moab for the weekend.

However, i found something really cool
and I wish I could have looked at it more
but check out these beauties:








(if you click on the picture, it makes them larger!)

while i wish i could remember the dates on them
they were old book in a rare book store
that had been bound hundreds of years ago
with print of the folios in them

they were so cool!

if i only had the money to buy them.

that just add to the many thing i wish i had the money to buy

but if you are ever passing through moab
you should stop in and see them
whether they are anything special or not
they were cool!

and on a super side side note just for your interest
they have a replica first edition book of mormon
that was made to look exactly like a real one
and some guy brought it in a tried to sell it off as an original one
so that was also cool to look at.
$500 to own but cool.

1 comment:

  1. Her diagram is SO interesting because visual representations/ infographics, like Burton said, are becoming really popular right now! To use them in education makes sense to me! But I wonder how willing educators would be to use them in their modern classes.

    ReplyDelete

Out, damned comments! out, I say!